Amy Meilen is a DONA certified birth doula, and she believes in birth!
Her passion in this work was sparked by the 4 very different births of her children. She is the mother of 8 children ages 4-28 in a remarkably blended family. Her birth experiences aren’t limited to birthing babies, but also to the birth of herself as a mother and a stepmother.
Becoming a mother has been the most profound, challenging, rewarding and joyous part of Amy’s life. She feels privileged to support others on their journey.
Amy’s expertise and training is as a physical therapist. She has practiced in the community for 26 years and has firsthand knowledge of a woman’s anatomy as well as the physiology of birth.
Amy understands implicitly that there are remarkable ways to use her hands, gravity, and a variety of different positions to help aide, relieve, and see a woman through the powerful force of labor and birth. She believes in the importance of prenatal and postpartum education. Amy wholeheartedly believes that your birth experience can, and does, shape your identity as a woman and a mother; her hope in working with couples, is that you birthing day is an experience of joy, strength, perseverance and innate wisdom. An experience that empowers you during your birth and throughout your journey as a mother.
Amy also enjoys teaching mama’s and families the importance of the “4th trimester”. The joys of bringing your new baby home are also paralleled with fatigue, uncertainty, hormonal shifts, and a different body/body image. During this time, Amy enjoys talking about self care in the form of closing ceremony, lactogenic nutrient-rich cooking, facilitating sleep for mama, helping to care for baby, and helping the family integrate their new roles–as a couple, as parents, and with other siblings.
Postpartum pelvic floor work is also part of Amy’s passion. Working with mamas who experience stress incontinence, painful intercourse, pelvic pain, rigid scar tissue, and that feeling of “not really being back” in their bodies is a part of her postpartum care where she thrives. Working with mamas on assessment and treatment of the pelvic floor, followed by treatment astride on one of the horses on her farm, Amy helps them find balance through release, strength, support, and breath that brings forward their innate strength, power, and body awareness in their postpartum months.
In Amy’s free time, she enjoys trail rides with her horses, working on her farm, skiing the trees on Mary Jane, snuggling with her kids, backpacking in RMNP, and date nights with her husband.
- DONA international
- Colorado Doulas Association
- American Physical Therapy Association
- CPR certified
- Innate Traditions Postpartum Care Certified Provider
- American Pregnancy Association
- Student StillBirthday
- GinaKirby’s Apprentice Level Rebozo workshop
- Breastfeeding–Arriving at the Milky Way
- CDA Conference–Breastsleeping with Dr James McKenna
- Spinning Babies workshop with Tammy Ryan
- Innate Postpartum Care-Certification Training-a holistic system of care, honoring women’s physiologic design
- Holistic Treatment of the Postpartum Body- Lynn Shulte, PT
What to Expect When Working With Amy Meilen as Your Birth Doula:
- 3 prenatal visits in your home, 60-90 minutes each, including a birthing day rehearsal
- 24-hour phone availability
- Assistance with developing your birth plan or visualizing your ‘ideal birth’
- On-call from week 37 of your pregnancy
- One henna-belly session with SarahKate Butterworth
- Photo and journal documentation during labor and delivery if desired
- Prenatal education for nutrition, positioning for labor, and strategies for partners to assist through massage, touch and positioning
- Aromatherapy on your birthing day
- Arrival for your labor and birth from your home to your chosen birthplace—continuous support through 2 hours post delivery
- Post-partum visit day 3-5 in your home
- Lactation assistance
- To plan a visit to her ranch for you either prenatally, or with your new baby to commune with her horses and the natural world.
- Invitations to postnatal events in Boulder
What to expect with Amy as your Postpartum Doula
3-4 hour ‘shifts’ in your home from week 1-7 to :
- Assist with breastfeeding and pumping
- Assist with attachment parenting, if desired
- Assist with simple household chores
- Helping with baby and sibling care for “mama-rests”
- Closing/sealing ceremonies (bengkung belly binding, warming rituals/moxa, rebozo wrapping/sealing if desired)
- Vaginal (yoni) steams
What to expect with Amy as your postpartum physical therapist
1-2 hour sessions after week 7 at Amy’s facility for:
- Holistic treatment of the pelvic floor (interior/exterior pelvic floor assessment and treatment)
- Assessment and treatment of Diastasis Recti
- Hippotherapy for the Postpartum body
Serving Boulder, Longmont, Lyons, Niwot, and most of the Front Range
Amy lives in North Boulder and will travel within a 45 mile radius to assist you and your growing family on this amazing journey.
Have other questions? Give us a call at (720) 204-8489 or send an email for a free consultation
Preparing for your birth may seem overwhelming — we’re here to help! Headquartered in Longmont, our team of doulas is spread out across the front range, and we are regularly meet with clients in Boulder, Broomfield, Lafayette, Louisville, Erie, and Denver.
Contact us today to see how we can help. We’ll can meet for coffee or tea for our complimentary birth planning meeting to learn more about how we can support you in your vision of your birth.